Eberston Patrol

A.K.A. (nickname)
Ebberston Hall

The Eberston Patrol were based to the west of Scarborough in the grounds of Ebberston Hall between Troutsdale and the North Riding Forest Park, two very large areas of maintained forestry. Pickering is to the west and the next nearest large town on the southern edge of the North Yorkshire Moors.

Patrol members
Name Occupation Posted from Until
Sergeant Cyril Norman Craggs

Farm labourer - horseman

Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Private George Henry Close

Forest worker

Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Private Christopher Mook

Horseman on farm

Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Private Arthur Orrah

Farm labourer

Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Private Harold Vasey

Farmer and stone mason

Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Operational Base (OB)

The Patrol's OB was a standard "Elephant" style shelter built somewhere to the north of Ebberston Hall in either Dalby Forest or in the area around the quarry at Hagg Side Lane. As yet no definite location or description of site.

OB Status
Location not known

Eberston Patrol

Patrol Targets

The Patrol's targets would have included the Hall itself, a possible German HQ being almost directly west of Scarborough. Transport link targets would have been; the A170 main road from the coast and probable landing grounds to the north and south of Scarborough and Caydon Bay, the York to Scarborough railway line and the railway junction at Pickering station to the west along with the River Derwent crossing points.


Some of the Patrol went to Coleshill house for specialist courses. Regional training took place at Dalby Lodge, used by the Intelligence Officer as an HQ and at Castleton with the Scout Section from The Green Howards.

The Patrol trained near to the OB and in the disused quarry.

Weapons and Equipment

The Patrol were issued with Mark 2 Auxiliary Units kit which included .38 Smith and Wesson pistols (these seem to have been the standard issue for the whole group), Thompson Machine Guns and fighting knives.

Other information

The Nominal Roll has the patrol as "Eberston" though it should have a second "B"


The National Archives in Kew ref WO199/3389

1939 Register

Hancock data held at B.R.A

Dennis Walker