County Group
Locality
The hamlet of Fearn lies 4.5 miles south-east of Tain.
Patrol members
Name | Occupation | Posted from | Until |
---|---|---|---|
Sergeant Hugh MacGregor Ross | Dairy Farmer |
Unknown | 03 Dec 1944 |
Corporal M. Bisset | Unknown | 03 Dec 1944 | |
Private H. Bisset | Unknown | 03 Dec 1944 | |
Private D. MacLeod | Unknown | 03 Dec 1944 | |
Private A. J. MacLeod | Unknown | 03 Dec 1944 | |
Private A. MacLeod | Unknown | 03 Dec 1944 | |
Private Murdo Robbie | Shepherd |
Unknown | 03 Dec 1944 |
OB Status
Location not known
Location
Fearn Patrol
Patrol Targets
There were two airfields in the Patrol area. RAF Tain was built in 1940 based on an earlier landing strip linked to the nearby Tain weapons range. An invasion scare resulted in a series of obstacles being built on the seaward side. It may even be the reason for a Patrol being formed in the area. Initially a fighter base, it was later expanded for RAF and USAAF bombers. These took part in anti U Boat operations and attacks on the German Battleship Tiroitz. RAF Fearn, later known RNAS Fearn and HMS Owl opened in late 1941 as an outstation of RAF Tain. A small airstrip remains in use on the site.
References