Bingham's Melcombe House near Dorchester was the second Headquarters for Dorset. The first record confirming its use is dated 3rd September 1941 and the last 12th December 1942. The wartime phone number was Milton Abbas 239.
The estate dates back to at least 1056, but came into the ownership of the Bingham family by 1246 when Robert Bingham nephew of the Bishop of Salisbury married into the Tuberville family who owned the estate. Students of author Thomas Hardy may recognise the Tuberville name and the house and the Reverend Charles Bingham were featured in the book (the latter as Parson Tringham).
By the Second World War, the house was in the hands of the Grogan family, who remained in residence with the Auxiliary Units staff occupying the gatehouse and other outbuildings. It is thought that parts of the estate were used for training.
The house remains Privately Owned and is not open to visitors. It can be viewed from a nearby footpath.