Abergavenny Patrol

A.K.A. (nickname)
Jeptha
County Group
Locality

Abergavenny is a market town in Monmouthshire and is promoted as a Gateway to Wales. It is located on the A40 trunk road and the A465 Heads of the Valleys road and is approximately 6 miles from the border with England.

Patrol members
Name Occupation Posted from until
Sergeant George Wilfred Watkins

Insurance manager

Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Corporal John S. Forbes

Gun dog trainer

Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Private John William Graham

Bricklayer

Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Private Thomas Oxton Maddock

Farm worker

Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Private Alexander Russell Mitchell

Railway clerk

Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Private Charles Henry Perry

Traffic officer

Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Private Reginald James Pritchard

Rail traffic controller

Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Private Arthur Sidney Townsend

Dairy farmer

Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Patrol & OB pictures
OB Image
Caption & credit
Abergavenny "Jeptha" Patrol (from MonLife Museum)
OB Status
Location not known
Location

Abergavenny Patrol

Training

Group training courses with target practice were arranged every 4-5 weeks at the derelict Glen Court mansion, Llantrisant near Usk. Pertholey House near Newbridge on Usk and Belmont House near Langstone. 

An annual training camp with members from other Patrols was held at Southerndown. The men were billeted at Dunraven Castle which was also home to evacuees during the war. 

The men were taught how to use sticky bombs, a selection of guns, grenades, fuses and time pencils. Each Patrol was issued with Fairbairn Sykes which were particularly lethal instruments. The men were taught advanced ‘thuggery’ and became very highly skilled in how to kill silently using knives or the cheese cutter garrotte. The men were basically not meant to be a confrontational unit, but lone sentries would no doubt have been targets for silent execution. 

Other information

Known by the codename Jeptha

References

TNA ref WO199/3389

Sallie Mogford

1939 Register

Hancock data held at B.R.A

 

 

Page Sponsor