Berriedale is approximately 6 miles north-east of Helmsdale.
|Sergeant John F. Murray||
|Unknown||03 Dec 1944|
|Corporal Alex Thomson||Unknown||03 Dec 1944|
|Private James Gunn||Unknown||03 Dec 1944|
|Private Donald MacLeod||Unknown||03 Dec 1944|
|Private J. Matheson||Unknown||Unknown|
|Private John Murray||Unknown||Unknown|
|Private James Sutherland||Unknown||03 Dec 1944|
Situated west of Langwell Water opposite 'Weather Vane' and 'Turnal Rock'.
Today the area is open and exposed, but was covered with deciduous trees during wartime. There was some thinning out post war and replanting. Nothing remains at the location of the OB. It was destroyed by a controlled explosive charge sometime in 1945 by Sergeant Murray.
An Observation Post was situated nearby and had a field telephone with communications cable leading to the OB.
They trained locally within the grounds of the Langwell Lodge Estate and also other training provided by Scout sections from the Seaforth and Cameron Highlanders at Golspie and as far as Blairmore House.
The Sergeant, also head gardener, John Murray, blew up unstable explosives in the OB after the war so that almost nothing remains. He also enjoyed setting booby traps in the garden, and wore the stand down badge in his lapel.
Geoff Leet's article in Caithness Field Club Bulletin 2005
Hancock data held at B.R.A
TNA ref WO199/3388
Private Correspondence with David Blair