Burley Patrol

Locality

Burley is a village on the edge of the New Forest, 3.5 miles south-east of Ringwood.

Patrol members
Name Occupation Posted from Until
Sergeant John William Shutler

Motor Engineer & Garage Owner

18 Sep 1940 03 Dec 1944
Private Frederick William Carpenter

Grover Shop Assistant

13 Jul 1940 03 Dec 1944
Private Frank F Finch

Chauffeur

10 Jun 1943 03 Dec 1944
Private Frederick William King

Gardener

10 Jun 1940 03 Dec 1944
Private Walter John Marchant

Gardener

08 Sep 1942 03 Dec 1944
Private Frederick Thomas Rolfe

Gardener

06 Mar 1943 03 Dec 1944
Private Edward Hartley Summerell

Forestry Worker

08 Sep 1942 03 Dec 1944
Operational Base (OB)

Shortly after the war, Brian Marchant was taken by his father to see the OB in Berry Wood just outside Burley. He describes a hidden hatch, with steps down to a fair sized room with wooden bunks and a table. Forestry Commission employee Ken Harding, recalls being asked to take his digger and excavate and destroy the bunker. It was constructed of steel sheets and was quite substantial, taking a significant effort to destroy and bury it completely.  BY 1971, when Briam returned to show his future wife the site, there was nothing left to find

OB Status
Destroyed
Location

Burley Patrol

Other information

The Burley patrol were older than the average Auxiliary Unit, all of them have fought in World War 1. A number of the men listed joined later on, according to the Aux Units nominal roll. While sometimes this can be inaccurate, it suggests that there were other men who formed part of the patrol prior to this who are not recorded.

References

TNA ref WO199/3391

Hancock data held at B.R.A

1939 Register

New Forest notes