Castle Douglas Patrol


Castle Douglas is a town 16 miles south-west of Dumfries.

Patrol members
Name Occupation Posted from Until
Corporal J. Currie


Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Private R. Bell Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Private J. Bryden

Castle Douglas Estate joiner

Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Private W. Telford

Farm worker on Eastside Estate

Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Private A. Wilson Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Operational Base (OB)

The Patrol's OB was a brick and corrugated metal sheet "Elephant" type shelter built by the Royal Engineers. It is located to the north of Castle Douglas at Tintum. It features curving entrance tunnel often found at Borders sites.

OB Status
Largely intact
OB accessibility
This OB is on private land. Please do not be tempted to trespass to see it

Castle Douglas Patrol


The Patrol trained locally at the OB site and at weekends they were visited by Sergeant Wylie and Corporal Stevenson. Both regulars with the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders. These two men trained the Patrol members in the use of explosives.

Weapons and Equipment

Auxiliary Units Mark 2 kit.


TNA ref WO199/3388

Hancock data held at B.R.A

Stephen Maggs' book Those that were Dumfriesshire Home Guard.