Culvie Patrol

County Group
Locality

Culvie is an area to the North West of Aberchirder.

Patrol members
Name Occupation Posted from until
Sergeant William Fordyce

Farmer

Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Corporal William Drummond

Farm Worker

Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Private Gilbert Mair Brodie

Joiner

Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Private George Cruickshank

Farmer's Son

Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Private George Legge

Farm Worker

Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Private George McDonald

Farmer

Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Private John Stewart Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Operational Base (OB)

The Operational Base was built into the heather-covered hillside, on land above Newton of Culvie belonging to Culvie Estate and farmed by Sergeant Bill Fordyce. It was constructed in a hollow where an old road metal quarry had probably been.

There were two sets of bunks made with timber and netting wire, a water container and a primus stove for which Sergeant Fordyce supplied the paraffin. Food had to be pinched – eggs, snare rabbits, etc – and sometimes Auxilier Jack Stewart brought pies and various other perishable goods from the bakery.

The entrance was a box of heather with a rabbit burrow type hole giving access to the keyhole. A step ladder led down to the bunker which had brick built walls lined with white painted 9-inch boards to make it light.

About 380 yards north of the OB on Park Estate land, was a tree-house style lookout about 5 feet square, situated on the hillside with a clear view over the Greendykes road to Portsoy, seven miles distant, and the coast. The lookout was connected to the OB by two wires which allowed the watchers to transmit by Morse code to the men in the bunker. Usually there were two lookouts and five inside the bunker.

Location

Culvie Patrol

Patrol Targets

There was nothing immediately around that area that would suggest the Patrol had any major targets.

Most likely the targets were minor road and rail networks, about 7 miles away was a substantial railway viaduct at Portsoy. Portsoy also had a small harbour. From the location of the OB, the coast and activity at Banff Airfield could be observed.

Training

Training would have taken place at Blairmore House, Huntly.

Other information

Although Auxilier Jack Stewart was a member of the Culvie Patrol, he was also a driver for Group Commander Lieutenant Budge who was Head Teacher of Marnoch School (1927-1943).

Jack visited the other OBs with Lt Budge and met some of the other Patrol members.

References

TNA ref WO199/3388 201 Bn rolls.
Hancock report held at B.R.A

Local Research