The forest of Darnaway lies 3 miles southwest of Forres, in Moray.
|Sergeant R. Reid||Unknown||03 Dec 1944|
|Corporal G. Reid||Unknown||03 Dec 1944|
|Private J. Geddes||Unknown||03 Dec 1944|
|Private D. MacIntyre||Unknown||03 Dec 1944|
|Private Donald MacLennen||Unknown||03 Dec 1944|
|Private George MacLennen||Unknown||03 Dec 1944|
|Private James Stephen||Unknown||03 Dec 1944|
The Operational Base was near Berry Lee Farm on the bank of the River Findhorn but it then moved to another location just North of the A96 road, and west of Forres.
The location of the Patrol was close to RAF Brackla and Kinloss.
There were likely invasion beaches in the area around Spey Bay.
Main Aberdeen Railway lines passes close by. That would have been a likely target and also associated bridges over the River Findhorn.
The area of the Patrol is in mostly forest areas, with small amounts of farming. It is also near busy commuter routes for road and rail.
Most likely Blairmore House in Huntly. It is also thought that the Darnaway Patrol launched dummy attacks against RAF Brackla.
The Patrol used a rifle range at St John’s Mead along with Spynie Patrol.
The patrol had an inflatable dinghy for crossing the River Findhorn.
In the book, Word War II in Moray, it details how the patrol captured two enemy agents near Mundole in a quarry off the River Findhorn.
TNA ref WO199/3388
Hancock data held at B.R.A
World War II in Moray by Bill Bartlam and Ian Keillar