Easton Park Patrol

A.K.A. (nickname)
County Group

Easton Park and Glevering are adjacent to one another a few miles north-west of the large village of Wickham Market.

Patrol members
Name Occupation Posted from Until
Sergeant Richard Hayward


Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Corporal Stanley James Potter

Tractor driver

Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Private Arthur W. Chatfield

Farm worker

Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Private Jack Kindred Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Private Richard George Payne


Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Private Richard Richardson Pipe

Game keeper

Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Private George Arment Spink


Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Private Maurice Osborn Springfield

Deputy Commissioner 

Unknown Unknown
Private Frederick Vincent Warren

Dairy farmer

Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Operational Base (OB)

The OB was built into the ha-ha surrounding a small woodland known as “The Wilderness”, situated in the south-western corner of Easton Park.

A track skirts the northern edge of the woodland, running parallel with the sunken wall and past the OB which was situated about 150 yards from the road. Inquisitive villagers were told that the structure was intended to be used as an emergency food supply during the war and some still believe this story today. The whole park is surrounded on all sides by a high red-brick crinkle-crankle wall which is believed to be the longest existing wall of its kind. Before Easton Park came under new ownership, several gates in this wall provided access to the park.



Patrol & OB pictures
OB Image
Caption & credit
Easton Park
OB Image
Caption & credit
Easton Park Map
OB Status
Location not known

Easton Park Patrol

Other information

The former estate village of Easton is situated approximately five kilometres south of Framlingham. Easton Manor had been converted for use as a Red Cross Hospital. After the end of WW1 the British government imposed super taxes on the rich to help defray the cost of the war, and considering the high cost of restoring the Mansion, Lord James Graham (later the Duke of Montrose) decided to sell the estate. The land was divided into 137 lots and sold by auction in 1919. The Mansion, however, did not sell and it was finally demolished in 1924. The surrounding 150-acre parkland, Easton Park, was transferred to Martley Hall which adjoins in the north. It is currently a stud farm (Easton Park Stud).

Main Group Photograph


TNA ref WO199/3389

Hancock data held at B.R.A

1939 Register

Evelyn Simak and Adrian Pye.

B.R.O.M at Parham, 

Richard Hayward (son of Patrol leader Sgt R Hayward); J.C Hammond, Easton