Kidwelly Patrol

Locality

Kidwelly is a town in Carmarthenshire, west Wales, approximately 10 miles north-west of the main town of Llanelli.

Patrol members
Name Occupation Posted from Until
Sergeant Daniel James Mitchell

Kiln burner

Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Corporal Edwin L. Lewis

Tin plate worker

Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Private Marquis Louvain Evans

Silica brick setter

26 May 1940 03 Dec 1944
Private Thomas Hughes Unknown 1942
Private Arthur Benjamin Hughes

Kiln burner silica works

Unknown 1942
Private Ronald Wilfred Johns

Builders labourer

31 May 1940 03 Dec 1944
Private Alfred James Jones

Rollerman tin plate works

Unknown 1942
Private Ernest Howard Latham

Tin plate works

Unknown 1942
Private Mathusalem John Lewis

Clay mixer at brick works

31 May 1940 03 Dec 1944
Private William Archibald Thomas

Gas engine driver

31 May 1940 03 Dec 1944
Private David W. Thomas

Silica brick wheeler

26 May 1940 03 Dec 1944
Patrol & OB pictures
OB Image
Caption & credit
Kidwelly Bridge
OB Image
Caption & credit
Kidwelly Castle
OB Image
Caption & credit
Kidwelly rail line
OB Status
Location not known
Location

Kidwelly Patrol

Patrol Targets

Targets would have included the main A484 road, especially the bridge over the River, and rail links from Burry Port to Carmarthen. The rail track runs at the bottom of Highfield Villas and Station Road where many of the Auxiliers lived.

The nearby RAF Pembrey airbase had an emergency landing of a German Focke Wolfe 190. The windfall at Pembrey, and 2 later aircraft that landed in Kent, meant that they could test and analyse the one German fighter that could outperform the Spitfire.

The other major area of war effort was the munitions factory at Pembrey. The isolated sand dunes of southern Cefn Sidan were ideal for explosives manufacture and in 1881 there was a factory producing gunpowder and dynamite. In 1914 this became a large scale Royal Ordnance Factory built and run by the Nobel Explosives Company of Glasgow and owned and financed by the Government. It produced TNT, and was one of the largest factories producing munitions during WW1.

It closed in the early 1920s but reopened during WW2 and was rebuilt as the Royal Ordnance Factory with over 200 hectares with sand banks and bunkers for protection and camouflage. It had it's own railway system, linked to the main railway-line at Pembrey, and it's own power station. It was Britain's largest producer of TNT with 700 tons and produced 1,000 tons of Ammonium Nitrate and 40 tons of Tetryl at it's peak in 1942 and employed 2,000 people.

References

TNA ref WO199/3389.

Hancock data held at B.R.A.

1939 Register

The Story of Stokey Lewis by Walter Ireland.

The Last Ditch by David Lampe

Kidwelly History