Sidbury Patrol

Locality

Sidbury is a village in the Sid Valley, a few miles inland from Sidmouth, East Devon, on the present A375.

Patrol members
Name Occupation Posted from Until
Sergeant Frank Luxton

Gamekeeper

May 1940 November 1944
Corporal Frederick H Cordey

Gardener

June 1940 November 1944
Private George Ash Cole

Miller

June 1940 February 1943
Private Horace Frank Coles

Farmer

April 1941 January 1944
Private Derrick A Hall March 1941 September 1943
Private Ernest Hull

Carter

July 1940 November 1944
Private Walter George Hutchings

Farmer

March 1943 November 1944
Private Sydney M King

Gardener

May 1940 November 1944
Private Richard George Luxton

Assistant gamekeeper

August 1942 November 1944
Operational Base (OB)

Thought to have been located in South Lincombe Plantation which is now Big Wood. Auxilier King's son was told it had been blown up after the war, nearly taking half of the village with it !

OB Status
Destroyed
OB accessibility
This OB is on private land. Please do not be tempted to trespass to see it
Location

Sidbury Patrol

Patrol Targets

The most obvious targets for Sidbury Patrol would have been the main roads of the A35 heading east along the coast and the A375 towards Honiton, the junction of which, if obstructed would hamper supply routes. 

Sidbury Devon Old map showing road targets
Sidbury Devon Old map showing road targets

 

Weapons and Equipment

It is assumed they were issued with the standard kit, arms and explosives.

It has been suggested the stoke hole of Sidbury Manor was used as a store.

Other information

Many of the Auxiliers worked for Sir Cave on the Sidbury Manor Estate.

The manor was used to house Alexandra Girls College from Westcliff-on-Sea.

References

TNA ref WO199/3391

Hancock data held at B.R.A

1939 Register on Findmypast.

Ralph Cox, Sir John Cave, Auxilier son Tom King MBE.