St. Juliot Patrol


St Juliot is a rural parish in North Cornwall.

Patrol members
Name Occupation Posted from Until
Sergeant George Henry Reed

Threshing machine owner

20 Jun 1940 03 Dec 1944
Corporal Herbert Edward Jenkins


30 Jun 1940 03 Dec 1944
Private Philip Henry Cornelius

Dairy farmer

30 Jun 1941 31 Jan 1944
Private William George Duston Dawe

Builder and mason

30 Jun 1940 03 Dec 1944
Private Edward Routley Elson


30 Jun 1941 03 Dec 1944
Private John Arthur Mitchell


30 Mar 1941 03 Dec 1944
Private Reginald Ronald Sandercock

General labourer

30 Jul 1940 03 Dec 1944
Operational Base (OB)

The St. Juliot Auxiliary Unit had two Operational Bases. One was built by Royal Engineers in the remote location of a small disused quarry in woodland near Anderton Ford, about half a mile south west of Tresparrett. It was built above ground by the side of a stream and was constructed from green painted sheet metal. This OB was discovered by local children who followed the soldiers to the location when it was being built. Nothing remains at the site today.

As a consequence, a second OB was built in Helsett Wood, about half a mile to the south east. The location of this OB is only approximate and its surviving condition is unknown.

Patrol & OB pictures
OB Image
Caption & credit
First OB at Anderton Ford
OB Image
Caption & credit
Secord OB at Helsett Wood
OB Image
Caption & credit
Davidstow airfield target
OB Image
Caption & credit
St Juliot Patrol. Rear L-R; Jack Mitchell Elson, Curls Sandercock, George Dawe. Front Sgt George Reed Cpl Albert Jenkins
OB Image
Caption & credit
Tresparrett Sunday School
OB Image
Caption & credit
Western Morning News 10 July 1945
OB Status
Location not known
OB accessibility
This OB is on private land. Please do not be tempted to trespass to see it

St. Juliot Patrol

Patrol Targets

Assumed local targets would have included the railway at Otterham Station. Blocking the junction of the A39 (main road leading north and east) and the A395 (main road towards Launceston) would hinder supply routes through north Cornwall.

The nearby RAF Davidstow Moor airfield opened in 1942 and could also have been a target. Some of the buildings now house the excellent Cornwall at War Museum which is worthy of a visit.

Weapons and Equipment

It is assumed they were issued with the standard kit, arms and explosives.

Other information

The Patrol often met at Jack Mitchell's house at Trewannion near Tresparrett which was just on the hill above the OB.

Comments were made by locals on the weapons and amount of ammunition the men had when they turned up each year for the annual rook shooting competition in May.

The IO Jack Dingley moved to the nearby Crackington Haven after the war. He remained firm friends with the Patrol.

One of the first journalist interviews with an Auxilier was printed on 10th July 1945 in the Western Morning News. The “informant” for the article was thought to be Sergeant George Reed describing the Auxiliers wartime roll and the sites of the Patrol's OB locations.

The Patrol photo was taken outside Treparrett Sunday School.


Alwyn Harvey recorder for Defence of Britain Database who credits:

Research and assistance by Mrs. Audrey Aylmer - Bude Old Cornwall Society and Mr E J Elson

TNA ref WO199/3391

Hancock data held by B. R. A

1939 Kellys Directory

Various Newspaper articles