The parish of St Mawgan-in-Pydar is in North Cornwall four miles north east of Newquay.
|Sergeant Arthur Warne||
|30 May 1940||03 Dec 1944|
|Corporal Joel Reginald Rowe||
|07 Jul 1940||03 Dec 1944|
|Private Richard Percy Bone||
|27 May 1940||03 Dec 1944|
|Private Reginald Thomas Bone||
|07 Jun 1940||03 Dec 1944|
|Private John Arthur Cooper||
|30 Jun 1941||03 Dec 1944|
|Private Eric William Linne||
|30 Jun 1940||03 Dec 1944|
|Private Joseph Kenneth Rowe||
|31 May 1940||03 Dec 1944|
The Operational Base of the St. Mawgan Auxiliary Patrol was constructed in a small, disused quarry a few yards north east of the hamlet Trevarrian, half a mile south of Mawgan Porth.
The original walls of the quarry doubled as walls for the OB, which was located in a pit in the corner of the quarry. Corrugated iron sheets were used as a roof and an old lorry chassis was thrown on top of the OB as camouflage. Entry was via a wooden door. The OB measured 12 ft by 15 ft by 8 ft in height.
It is thought that the OB has been destroyed.
In the images, the OB is thought to have been located in a quarry in the top far right of the wood. The structures on the skyline are buildings connected to what is now Newquay Airport.
St. Mawgan Patrol
The proximity to RAF St Eval and RAF Trebelzue (later RAF St Mawgan) which is now part of Newquay Airport would make these obvious targets.
Meetings of the Patrol took place in two caravans located at Tolcarne Farm which is between the OB location at Trevarrian and the village of St Mawgan.
They also met in fields south of Bre-Pen Farm to the west of Trevarrian.
It is assumed they had access to the standard equipment. Explosives and ammunition were stored at Tolcarne Farm in concrete pipes let into the ground. Covers were put on top of the pipes as protection.
Alwyn Harvey and his work on The Defence of Britain Database. He credits Auxilier Corporal Joel Rowe whom he was able to interview.
TNA reference WO199/3391
Hancock data held at B.R.A