The coastal town of Thurso is the main town on the north-east Scottish mainland.
Between the railway line and the high banking of the river Thurso, where a stream has cut a gully into the banking, a patch of gorse now conceals the location of the OB.
This was made of arched corrugated iron like a massive Anderson shelter, and had a wall and door on the south side, and an escape tunnel into the slight valley.
Very little remains, only odd sections of corrugated sheet. Mention is made of a door that slid out on rails.
Thurso 2 Patrol
Targets could have included the nearby rail line, although a little too close !
Scrabster Harbour including the supply routes to and from it, which includes the A9 junction/spur and other ad-hoc targets of choice, or to supplement other Patrols post invasion.
Training was given by Scout Section at Halkirk.
Demolition training was carried out at a nearby quarry in the vicinity between Janetstown and Glengolly.
There are two Patrols recorded in the Thurso area in the Nominal Roll. One was stood down before October 1942 and a totally different Patrol was set up that lasted through to Stand Down. As the OB structure sounds more elaborate it is assumed this is connected with the later Patrol but they may have made use of the original Patrol's OB.
Various lads found their way into the hide and remember wooden benches and a few .303 cartridges with blue dots believed to indicate tracer, and the "door that slid out on rails".