Wheatley Hill Patrol

County Group

The Patrol were based to the west of Wingate in County Durham.

Patrol members
Name Occupation Posted from Until
Sergeant Thomas Lawler

Colliery hewer 

Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Corporal William Barron

Stoneman at coal mine

Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Private Thomas Barker

Mason at coal mine

Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Private John Carr

Coal miner below ground

Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Private Joseph Hall

Colliery blacksmith underground and surface

Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Private Ernest O'Connor

Below ground shopman

Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Private Thomas Robson

Horsekeeper coal mine underground

Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Operational Base (OB)

The Patrol OB was a standard "Elephant" type shelter built by the 184th (S) Tunnelling Company Royal Engineers built in Nanny's Wood to the west of Wingate.

A sketch-plan and and memo, marked secret, and dated 10 Oct 1942, points towards the OB being near Woodman's Cottage on Durham Road. The memo was found during renovations of Dr McLean's house "Valdigarth", Wheatley Hill, most likely the Special Duties Outstation.

Patrol & OB pictures
OB Image
Caption & credit
Elmore Hall
OB Image
Caption & credit
Wheatley Hill Auxiliary Unit OB location
OB Image
Caption & credit
Woodman's Cottage (from Wheatley Hill History Club)
OB Status

Wheatley Hill Patrol

Patrol Targets

Local targets would have included Thornley railway junctions, various Collieries in the area and ports to the east.

Military targets would have included Searburn ROC post, Easington Lane search light battery, Brasside ammuntion store near Durham and Tuthill ammunition store near Haswell along with RAF Usworth.


Some of the Patrol went to Coleshill House to train. Regionally they trained at Danby Lodge, North Yorkshire with the Intelligence Officer and Castleton with the Scout Section from The Green Howards.

The Patrol trained locally and at the near by Cobbler's Quarry in the Elmore Hall Estate. Information suggests this was used by the military for training, it is close proximity to both Haswell Patrol which is also in the  woods of the Hall‘s grounds, Hetton and Wheatley Hill Patrols.

Elmore Hall is a large stately home (1749) which was once owned by the Baker family and was last lived in 1930 - it was sold to Durham County Council in 1947.

Weapons and Equipment

The Patrol were issued with a Mark 2 Auxiliary Unit kit which included .38 Smith & Wesson pistols and Sten Machine Guns.

Other information

Most of the Patrol worked in the local collieries.


The National Archives in Kew ref WO199/3389

1939 Register

Grant Holland

Wheatley Hill History Club