The second Headquarters used by Intelligence Officer Captain Hamilton-Hill was Blankney Hall, Blankney, North Kesteven, Lincolnshire. The village is situated approximately 9 miles south from the city and county town of Lincoln and 9 miles north from Sleaford.
This is the Headquarters that is mentioned in David Lamp's book "The Last Ditch"
Built around 1790 for the Chaplin family it was a grand Palladian Hall and was one of the grandest houses in Lincolnshire during the nineteenth century.
This too was quickly requisitioned by the RAF and the Auxiliary Units Headquarters moved to the third HQ at Danby Hall.
The house was seriously damaged by fire in 1946. It was demolished in 1960 and subsequent years; the last part of the service wing was demolished in 1995.
The gates to Blankney Hall are listed Grade II, and date from the mid nineteenth century. The stable block, where the Auxiliary Units trained is also listed.
|Intelligence Officer||Captain Donald Hamilton-Hill||15 Jul 1940||31 Dec 1941|