Used as the first Lincolnshire Headquarters from 31st July 1940.
Built around 1760 for the Nevile family the Grade II* listed Wellingore Hall was the initial Headquarters of Lincolnshire Intelligence Officer Captain Hamilton-Hill. It is in Wellingore village which is on the A607, 19 miles south from Lincoln.
It was quickly requisitioned by the RAF to act as a mess for the nearby RAF Wellingore and the Headquarters was moved to Blankney Hall.
Both Douglas Bader and Guy Gibson stayed at the house and later in the war it was used as a prisoner of war interrogation centre. The house suffered miserably and fell into disrepair. After 1946 RAF Wellingore closed and the land given back for agricultural use. The house suffered a period of neglect and the Nevile estate was finally sold in 1968.
Today Wellingore Hall exists as a business centre comprising offices and apartments.
|Intelligence Officer||Captain Donald Hamilton-Hill||15 Jul 1940||1940|