Chandler's Ford Patrol


Chandler's Ford is a village 1 mile north of Southampton.

Patrol members
Name Occupation Posted from Until
Sergeant Sidney Frederick Scott

Asphalter (Foreman)

01 Jun 1940 03 Dec 1944
Private Roy Edward John Budden

Garage worker

13 Sep 1941 03 Dec 1944
Private Ronald John Cooper

Agricultural engineer, mechanic

20 Jun 1940 03 Dec 1944
Private Montague Edward George Dymott

Agricultural engineer & lorry driver

10 Jun 1941 03 Dec 1944
Private William Robert Eccott

Cycle shop owner & engineer

27 May 1940 03 Dec 1944
Private John Stanley Foster

Costing clerk Pirelli General Cable Works

23 Jun 1942 03 Dec 1944
Private Clarence Ernest Frank King


29 Sep 1941 03 Dec 1944
Private Mark James Richardson

Open license public service vehicle driver

26 May 1940 14 Sep 1942
Private Cuthbert T. Williams 19 Nov 1942 03 Dec 1944
Operational Base (OB)

The Operational Base was built by the Royal Engineers in the Chandler's Ford Brickworks. The entrance was concealed at the base of a hollow stump of an Elm tree. The hollow lead to a trap door, which then lead to a tunnel. It has been recalled that this tunnel was often 6 inches deep in water so the men were often soaking wet before they entered the main chamber.

The main chamber was a store for ammunition and explosives as well as food and a sleeping area. Cupboards and bunks were cut into the earth walls of the hide (note there is no mention of the regular “Nissen” structure) and there were cooking facilities as well as a chemical toilet.

The OB was so damp that they did not leave weapons there.

The OB was destroyed after stand down by the Royal Engineers. The site of the Brickworks is now Chandler's Ford Industrial Estate.

OB Status

Chandler's Ford Patrol

Patrol Targets

Roy Budden recalled that the men knew every bend in the rail line from Romsey to Eastleigh and all the bends in the local roads were they could set up an ambush.

Looking at the 1945 map it would seem the rail and road links would be obvious targets along with bridges.


Roy Budden remembered training 2 nights a week and at weekends. He recalled; “Mother didn't know what was going on. Good job really that she didn't look under my bed as when we had been out training over night my rucksack was full of explosives and weapons.”

One night the Chandler's Ford Patrol met with another Patrol in some sand pits at North Baddesley to try out some new shaped charges named “Beehive charges” which could punch a hole through armoured plate.

To test the charges they had a bomb case brought up from Portsmouth to practice on. They fitted two charges and backed away slowly to take cover. There was a tremendous explosion and Monty Dymott watched as it flew through the air, clean out of the quarry. When the dust had settled they decided to call it a night and climbed aboard their truck to return home.

They were flagged down by a couple in their night clothes about a mile down the road. As their bedroom ceiling had collapsed there had clearly been an air raid but they were worried as there had not been any warning sirens. The next day reports came in of 32 houses damaged by this “mystery air raid” on 22nd June 1941.

Sometimes night exercises took place travelling across country undetected. This would often involve fording rivers which the men would strip for, wrapping their clothes in waterproof sheets and pushing in front while swimming the river. One night two of the men emerged from a river to encounter a woman walking her dog.

The Patrol often trained with others in the area. One night exercise was conducted near Bishops Waltham under the command of Intelligence Officer Major Clive. At the end of the exercise Major Clive suggested the men may just catch a pint in the local pub if they were quick. The group trooped to the pub still carrying various explosives, detonators and time pencils.

The landlord was not very welcoming to the slightly dishevelled group and refused to serve them. The disgruntled men left a small device in the fireplace and were half way down the road when the pub windows blew out.

Weapons and Equipment

Roy Budden remembers his commando knife and a .38 Smith and Wesson “not bad for a 17 year old nipper”


TNA ref WO199/3391

Hancock data held at B.R.A

1939 Register

Ray Cobern and John Edmunds

Dr W. Ward

Newspaper article interview of Roy Budden: Southern Daily Echo 7 Mar 2003

Helen Beale 

Monty Dymott account via Alan Watson