Compton Bishop is a small village at the western end of the Mendip Hills located close to the historic town of Axbridge.
|Lieutenant Stanley Oliver Pike||
Traveller for corn merchant
|02 Jun 1940||03 Dec 1944|
|Private Lewis Croker||
|02 Jul 1940||03 Dec 1944|
|Private Christopher Thomas Ellis||
|07 Aug 1940||28 Jun 1944|
|Private Henry Charles Latimer||
|08 Aug 1940||18 Mar 1943|
|Private Sidney James Martin||
Store keeper & café help
|19 Jun 1940||02 Sep 1942|
|Private William Thomas Vowles||02 Jun 1940||12 Mar 1943|
The Patrol made use of a cave known as Denny's Hole for their OB. The cavern is around 10 by 10 metres and around 5 metres high with low tunnels leading off from it. One tunnel has a metal threshold. It is thought the Patrol used explosives to make the cave bigger as they warned the occupants of the nearby Dunnett Cottage they were going to blast.
Compton Bishop Patrol
The late Donald Brown interviewed Helen Boileau who had lived in Rackley Lane, near the OB, since 1938. She recalled Lewis Crocker was the Postman and he asked her father if he could deliver some larch poles to the house and keep them hidden until the men could use them to make bunks in the cave. He later asked her mother to store tins of food until they could be taken to the cave.
TNA ref WO199/3390 & WO199/3391
Hancock data held at B.R.A
Mendip Caves includes image