Constantine is a compact village but one of the largest parishes in Cornwall, boarded on the south by the Helford River.
|Sergeant Horatio Pascoe||
|07 Jan 1941||03 Dec 1944|
|Private James Thomas Caddy||
|02 Aug 1940||03 Dec 1944|
|Private Ernest Solomon Harris||
|20 Nov 1942||03 Dec 1944|
|Private Harold Toy||
|12 Jun 1940||03 Dec 1944|
|Private Percival Bruce Warren||
|23 Apr 1941||03 Dec 1944|
Constantine Patrol made use of a small derelict building just North of Brill Hill as their first Operational Base. Unfortunately security was soon breached when the local Home Guard unit used it as a target on an exercise. As a consequence this building was evacuated and a new OB was built in a nearby quarry. Though on private land it can be viewed from a permissive footpath in an adjacent field. The building is approximately 18 foot by 12 foot and appears to have, at one time, been divided into two rooms.
The quarry workings which contained the Operational Base of the nearby Mabe Patrol are clearly visible from the first location thus making visual contact between the Constantine and Mabe Patrols possible.
Having moved from the derelict building on Brill Hill, the Patrol built their own Operational Base in an old disused quarry on the adjacent Crowgey Farm owned by Ernest Harris. Though on private land it can be viewed from the public access lane. Due to the remoteness of the chosen location it was erected above ground. After the war it was moved and utilised around the Farm. It is currently unknown if it survives today.
Auxilier and once landowner, Ernest "Solly" Harris is recorded as having described it as being built from Nissen hut shaped corrugated iron sheets and measured 15ft by 12ft. It was used mainly to store explosives. Explosives were also stored in the out buildings of Ernest Harris' Farm.
The proximity to the strategically important Helford River and the Port of Falmouth cannot be ignored.
Constantine Patrol had regular training exercises with Perranwell and Mabe Patrols under the direction of Lieutenant Alec McLeod. They used a firing range at Higher Spargo Quarry and often met at a building in the grounds of Antron House, Mabe.
It is assumed the Patrol was issued with the standard kit, arms and explosives.
Lieutenant Alec McLeod was a local quarry owner as part of Freeman & McLeod Ltd. It is known one quarry he owned was where Mabe Patrol were based and he may have had ownership or certainly knowledge of the quarries used by Perranwell and Constantine Patrols.
Alwyn Harvey and his work on The Defence of Britain Database who was able to interview Auxilier Harris
TNA reference WO199/3391
Hancock data held at B.R.A
Auxilier Ken Welsh
Violette Valentine (nee Caddy).