Cottingham North Patrol

Locality

The large village of Cottingham lies 3.5 miles north-west of Hull.

Patrol members
Name Occupation Posted from Until
Sergeant Jack Hilary Edward Steele

Sanitary inspector

Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Sergeant Leonard Wollas

Grocers manager

Unknown 1943
Corporal Joseph Long

Grocer

Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Corporal Harry Nicholson

Master butcher

Unknown Unknown
Private Alan Bolton

Farmer

Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Private Hedley Ernest Yates Brocklehurst Unknown Unknown
Private Charles Reginald Hoggins

Lithographic printer

Unknown Unknown
Private John Grant Lindsay

Doctor - G.P

Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Private Ronald Newlove

Fitter

Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Private John Spilman Rhodes

Butcher

Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Private Mark Kitchener Wilson

Market gardener

Unknown 03 Dec 1944
Operational Base (OB)

The OB was situated beneath a green house in the grounds of The Grange at Cottingham. The entrance was through the boiler house and accessed by moving aside a pile of coke.

Mrs Susan Pace, the daughter of Auxilier Leonard Wollas, told how at one time the whole Patrol nearly died from fumes from the boiler house and it was only that Auxilier John Lindsay, a GP who was out on a call, returned to find the whole Patrol on the verge of death that they were saved.

The Grange was demolished to make way for Cottingham High School development.

Patrol & OB pictures
OB Image
Caption & credit
Leonard Wollas (3rd from left), Harry Nicholson (4th left) with commando knife. (Mrs Susan Pace)
OB Image
Caption & credit
Cottingham Grange
OB Status
Destroyed
Location

Cottingham North Patrol

References

TNA ref WO199/3389

Hancock data held at B.R.A

1939 Register

Andy Gwynne

East Ridings Secret Resistance by Alan Williamson.

Mark Sansom

Cottingham Grange