Doddington Patrol

County Group

The village of Doddington lies 5 miles south-west of Faversham.

Patrol members
Name Occupation Posted from Until
Sergeant Frederick Elvy

Haulage Contractor F & C Elvy

25 Jun 1940 03 Dec 1944
Private Andrew Stewart Allan

Pig farmer

18 Jun 1940 03 Dec 1944
Private Paul Graham Brenchley

Fruit dealer

12 Oct 1941 03 Dec 1944
Private George Sidney Chesson


08 Jun 1940 03 Dec 1944
Private Henry Cuthbert


27 Jun 1940 06 May 1943
Private Albert William Gammon


15 Dec 1941 03 Dec 1944
Private George Herbert Godden

Fruit dealer

14 May 1941 03 Dec 1944
Operational Base (OB)

The OB was a shallow four-chambered chalk well beneath a large yew tree on the north side of Great Bradfield Wood, Eastling, at the junction of two woodland rides. The roots were cut with a razor blade, the lid to the bunker placed beneath and the roots perfectly shaped and re-joined so the roots and lid would move as one. There was food and water for two - three weeks, plus ammunition.

Henry Cuthbert: “We spent one weekend every month in the hole. We would talk, play cards, check our equipment and eat; but nothing smelly, like onions. No-one ever found our OB. Later on the OB was linked up to three field telephones used to report activity from OPs. In 1976 the chalkwell was almost full of domestic rubbish but one of the chambers still had rusting remains of bunks, ammunition boxes and barbed wire.
Anyone wanting to enter the OB had to find a marble hidden in the leaves nearby, drop the marble down a mouse hole, which was really a 12 inch pipe, into a tin can. This would be the signal for the men below to open the trapdoor hidden in the gnarled ivy-covered roots at the base of the ancient tree."

Patrol & OB pictures
OB Image
Caption & credit
Henry Cuthbert by OB Yew tree (from Adrian Westwood)
OB Status
Location not known

Doddington Patrol


Henry Cuthbert recalled: “Regular training was held at The Garth and at Sir Thomas Neame’s farm at Macknade, near Faversham, where we used explosives on trees and stumps. I also went to Coleshill for three days. We practiced night movement and stalking, and shooting from the hip at silhouettes, fun-fair style, set up between trees. I was armed with a .45 automatic pistol and a .22 telescoped rifle. I was a very good shot having been brought up with guns.

If the invasion came we were to act individually to attack the enemy. We expected to get caught and killed and we saw no future. We expected to last two weeks maximum. There would have been vast numbers of German troops. We were not meant to confront the enemy, but if they got in the way then to knife or shoot them. We expected to get caught, but we were doing our duty and sacrifices needed to be made".


TNA ref WO199/3391 and WO199/3390

Hancock data held at B.R.A

Phil Evans

Henry Cuthbert via Adrian Westwood