Doxford Hall, Northumberland

Doxford Hall was home of the Runce family. Lord Runciman, the First Viscount Runciman of Doxford, had moved to his other home on the Isle of Eigg, leavng the house to be used by the State. It was used as a Regular Army Headquarters in World War Two.

184th Tunnelling Company used it as a base for part of one section while they were building Operational Bases in Northumberland.

There has been a suggestion that the Village Hall was used by the Intelligence Officer rather than the Hall itself.

Some of the ATS operators working at the Heiferlaw Zero station were billeted here. They benefited from the Gamekeeper, Mr Christmas, still be employed and he would regularly bring them items from the garden. They were also sent salmon on the train from one of the outstation operators in Berwick.

The Hall is now a Hotel and Spa.

Property Purpose
Auxiliary Units County Headquarters
Address
Doxford Hall,
Chathill,
Alnwick,
Northumberland
NE67 5DN
Personnel
Role Name Posted from Until
Intelligence Officer Captain John Rupert Hunt Thouron 27 Sep 1943 22 Apr 1944
Location

55.511012, -1.706738

References

Stephen Lewins

The National Archives WO166/8110

Beatrice Temple Diary

Dorothy Rainey account (British Resistance Organisation Museum)

Page Sponsor