The area of Skelbo lies on the south side of the tidal Loch Fleet, approximately half way between Golspie and Dornoch.
|Sergeant Harry Blyth||
|Sergeant S. W. MacLeod||Unknown||03 Dec 1944|
|Corporal J. A. W. Haldane||Unknown||03 Dec 1944|
|Private G. Bain||Unknown||03 Dec 1944|
|Private H. MacDonald||Unknown||03 Dec 1944|
|Private J. A. MacTavish||Unknown||03 Dec 1944|
There was an underground base at Airdens, like a nissen hut underground. It is in a secluded spot, containing bunks and stores with nothing visible above or obvious vent holes. There was a metal hatch (which would have been hidden from view) and a metal ladder going down to the main part. There was also an escape tunnel which came out at a small burn below the 'hide'. When K. Mackenzie first saw it it was in good condition, but has now fallen in. Kids used to play in it.
Sergeant Blythe, keeper at Cambusmore at the start of the war, and subsequently keeper at Skibo, told L. Suggett and M. Thomson that he was in the Auxiliary Unit, and that there was a cache of ammunition beside the loch. This was very secret – even his wife didn’t know he was a member. L. Suggett was shown this ammo cache by Blythe which was on the north side of Migdale Loch at the east end. G. Munro and E. Milne were told about the ammo dumps, but thought they were supposed to be on the north side of Migdale rock. They did see near the loch a hole near the path which had been caved in, and wonder now if this might have been the site of the ammo dump.
Sergeant Blyth was originally the Sergeant of Skelbo Patrol. It appears he moved to Rogart sometime after October 1942 and set up a new Patrol in the Rogart area.
Corporal MacLeod was promoted to Sergeant and Haldane to Corporal. The Patrol then continued until stand down.