In June 1941 the Somerset Light Infantry Scout Section moved to Northumberland and became the Northumberland Scout Section. It is not known if they were replaced with another section in Somerset.
The section built two bases for their own use which were also available to North Petherton patrol:
This had a trapdoor under clump of beech trees and cement pipes as escape tunnels.
This was among pine trees near Buncombe Cottages. The entrance was via the bank of a brook. The site has been estensively altered since the war and investigation revealed only fragments of brick and glazed pipe that may be the remnants of the destroyed OB.
The section would have consisted of a Lieutenant, a Sergeant, a Corporal and 9 private soldiers with a driver-batman for the officer and driver for the section’s lorry,
The exact transport for this section is not known. Most Scout Sections had a 15 cwt truck and an Austin 2-seater car for the officer. They were normally issued with bicycles as well.
Tim Wray Correspondence