Fife & Angus

Scotland flag

Lists recorded by Major Malcolm Hancock based at Coleshill House around September 1944 show Fife, Angus and Kincardineshire Auxiliary Units formed Area 3, with 24 Patrols in seven Groups.

There were some changes in Patrols and personnel over time and the Group structure did not exist earlier in the war, but it provides a useful way to look at the Patrols.

Late in 1941 there were 25 Patrols and four Group Leaders, with 121 men in total. There were 25 Operational Bases already built. The nominal roll [at The National Archives] covering the area is undated and only contains 64 names. The nominal roll is recorded in alphabetical order with only name and address. In places where Patrols are close together we have had to use a best estimate of each Patrol personnel.

Fife, Angus and Kincardineshire made up Area 3 at stand down.


Melville House in Fife was the Headquarters. 

From 27 September 1944 the Patrols were adminstered as part of Area 1 from the Headquarters at 6 Queen Street, Perth

Intelligence Officers (IO)
Role Name Posted from Until
Intelligence Officer Captain Wentworth Douglas Clark 01 Dec 1940 06 Sep 1943
Intelligence Officer Captain John Alfred McCue 06 Sep 1943 26 Sep 1944
Scout sections

The Royal Scots Scout Section operated in Fife and Angus. Training took place at Melville House, Fife. Latterly, Angus Patrols trained at Pitscandly House.

Map of Patrol locations

Arbroath Patrol

Arbuthnott Patrol

Carnoustie Patrol

Coupar Angus Patrol

Crail Patrol

Cupar Patrol

Elie Patrol

Farnell Patrol

Fettercairn Patrol

Glen Lethnot Patrol

Guardbridge Patrol

Kings Barns Patrol

Kirriemuir Patrol

Laurencekirk Patrol

Leuchars Patrol

Leven Patrol

Leysmill Patrol

Meigle Patrol

Monifieth Patrol

Montrose Patrol

Newtyle Patrol

St. Andrews Patrol

St. Monance Patrol

Tarfside Patrol

Pictures & documents
OB Image
Caption & credit
TNA ref WO199/3265 Change of IOs