|Observer||Mr Arthur Clarence Savage||Unknown||20 Jul 1944|
|Operator||Dr Thomas Russell-Stevens||Unknown||20 Jul 1944|
Alf Ellis' wartime diary records both an attic and a dugout site in Dorchester. It is not clear where such a dugout would have been, though there was a small tree covered area at the end of the hospital grounds, now serving as a car park. A close inspection shows no evidence of concealed aerials on any of the surviving trees, so this remains speculation.
It is thought that the operator of this outstation was Dr Russell Stevens, a family doctor and also surgeon at Dorset County Hospital, then in the centre of Dorchester. He lived in West Walks House adjacent the hospital and overlooking the park, with the main road from the south passing on the other side. This would have meant good views of any Germans moving out from an invasion in the Weymouth area.
Local resident Keith Hooper recalls him describing fitting aerials into the roofs of various long thatched barns around Dorset, these being perfect for concealing the large dipole aerials without causing suspicion. The Portesham outstation is likely one such site. Another was said to be in the stable block behind his house. It is unusual for an outstation operator to be involved in installing aerials, but given that many of the Royal Signals personnel were recruited from the radio ham community, he may have known some of them and been capable of helping out. The aerials were apparently fitted at night and usually without the permission of the owners!
Wrackleford Patrol member, George Northover, remembers Dr Russell Stevens well. He was the surgeon who had helped manage his mother’s medical problems for many years. He recalls being taken into to his house to be shown the radio equipment and told how he had contacted people from all around the world with this. He never knew that he was part of Auxiliary Units until 2014.
The stable block behind the house which possibly contained the aerials has since been demolished. It is not clear if the attic referred to was in the stables, or the main house.