The 28 Sussex Auxiliary Units Patrols can be divided into three Groups from lists recorded by Major Malcolm Hancock based at Coleshill House around September 1944. At stand down Sussex was area 13.
There were some changes in Patrols and personnel over time and the Group structure did not exist earlier in the war, but it provides a useful way to look at the Patrols.
The Sussex nominal roll is a simple A-Z address book. The only way to identify which Auxiliers were in what Patrol is by their home address. Where Patrols are close together there maybe some question over what Patrol they were part of.
Fortunately researcher Stewart Angell interviewed many survivors in the 1990s providing much of the information about who was in each Patrol.
|Intelligence Officer||Captain John Neville Wake Gwynne||13 Jul 1940||1941|
|Intelligence Officer||Captain Charles Frederick Gordon Bond||01 Oct 1941||21 Aug 1942|
|Intelligence Officer||Captain Ian James Wishaw Benson||22 Aug 1942||16 Aug 1943|
|Intelligence Officer||Captain Laurence Roy Bradford||16 Aug 1943||07 Jan 1944|
|Intelligence Officer||Captain Douglas Smith||15 Jan 1944||26 Sep 1944|
The East Sussex Scout Section and the West Sussex Scout Section were formed late in 1940. In April 1943 as part of a reduction in the Regular Army manpower in Auxiliary Units, half the men were posted back to their regiment and a Combined Sussex Scout Section formed. In late 1944 there were further reductions leaving just four men to support training of the Patrols.