South Dalton Instation

Location
South Dalton, Yorkshire
Type
Instation
Call sign
Dalton 0
Network
Special Duties Personnel
Role Name Posted from until
Operator Second Subaltern Phyllis Marion Britten (Mrs) 1943 03 Dec 1944
Operator Second Subaltern Betty Berkley Dicken (Mrs) 1942 03 Dec 1944
Station description

The South Dalton Instation was rediscovered and investiagted by researcher Alan Williamson in 1998 and described in his book. 

It was a typical Zero station, with a vertical shaft and elephant shelter design. The remians of the entrance was founf inside and had a tree branch secured to it with hessian tape, providing a hhandle to lift it with. In the initial room there was a set of shelves that coould be opened to reveal the main chamber beyond. The back of the shelves was filled with sand for soundproofing. When first discovered there were still tins and cans on the shelves as a part of the disguise.

The main chamber still contained a wooden sloping top desk and a table topped with metal sheeting. There was also the remains of a pair of wall mounted rollers, thought to perhaps have mounted a revolving map board. It is likely that there would also have been bunks as well. The remains of shelving brackets could be seen too.

The third section contained a wooden genrator bench and there were also areas marked for petrol (for the generator) and paraffin (for the dehumidifier)The room also contained a fire bucket made from a "flimsy" petrol can. In comon with a number of other Zero stations, two ventilation pipes crossed this area into the main chamber, with a hole in the upper pipe which could be covered by a sliding cover. This allowed the generator to be run without suffocating the occupants of the adjacent main chamber by sealing the room. This could later be ventilated when the cover was removed, the fumes rising through the higher pipe that would would conduct warm air our of the OB, while cool air was drawn in through the lower pipe.

No aerial trees were visible near the OB, though there were signs they may have been felled since the war.

The above ground Met Hut was 300 yards away and consisted of a Nissen hut, with a small room for an Elsan toilet. Only the entrance porch (built to allow blackout compliant comings and goings) and parts of one end wall remained. One of the aerial feeders could be seen running up a nearby mature beech tree.

The book contains detailed drawings, photos and images from a 3D reconstruction which we don't have permission to reproduce here. It is availbale form the CART Shop.

Map Location

South Dalton Instation

References

Alan Williamson
East Ridings Secret Resistance