Aberdeenshire

Scotland flag
Overview

Lists recorded by Major Malcolm Hancock based at Coleshill House around September 1944 show Aberdeenshire including Nairn, Moray and Banffshire Auxiliary Units formed Area 2, with 34 patrols in seven Groups.

There were some changes in Patrols and personnel over time and the Group structure did not exist earlier in the war, but it provides a useful way to look at the Patrols.

Late in 1941 there were 32 Patrols and four Group Leaders, with 220 men in total. There were 26 Operational Bases already built and 4 under construction, with another 2 required. The nominal roll for the area is dated 7th September 1942 and comparing this with the 1944 Hancock data shows further changes in personnel over time.

The nominal roll is recorded in alphabetical order with only surname, first initial, Identity Card number and town or village of residence. In places where Patrols are close together we have had to use a best estimate of each Patrol personnel.

Headquarters

The Headquarters most associated with Auxiliary Units by Patrol members is Blairmore House, Glass, Aberdeenshire. During 1944 we know that the Hall at the Gordon Arms Hotel, Fochabers was used.

 From 27 September 1944 the Patrols were administered as part of Area 1 from the Headquarters at 6 Queen Street, Perth

Intelligence Officers (IO)
Role Name Posted from until
Intelligence Officer Captain Robert Millar Cameron 1944 1944
Intelligence Officer Captain Reginald Arthur Charles Gordon-Lennox 22 Jul 1941 1942
Scout sections

One of the Scout Sections is recorded as using Blairmore House, but it is unclear which one.