Born in Burton Agnes, Yorkshire to Squire Thomas and Cycely Wickham-Boynton (nee Boynton).
His elder brother, Major Henry Fairfax Wickham-Boynton, died on active service in 1942, and on the death of their mother the Burton Agnes estate passed to Marcus Wickham-Boynton. He was High Sheriff of Yorkshire in 1953 and Deputy-Lieutenant of the East Riding of Yorkshire.
He was responsible for extensive restoration of the house, the most notable of which was the restoration of the Long Gallery. He greatly added to the treasures at Burton Agnes, notably the collection of French paintings, the Epstein bronzes, the Chinese porcelain and much rare furniture.
In 1977, he gave Burton Agnes Hall, some 42 acres of surrounding gardens and grounds, over 600 acres of good agricultural land plus a substantial cash endowment to the trustees of a registered charity formed for the protection and future upkeep of Burton Agnes Hall and its valuable contents. This ensures that the Hall remains well cared for and opens to the public for at least six months of the year.
|Unit or location||Role||Posted from||until|
|Coleshill House, GHQ||Camp Commandant||Unknown||1942|
22 March 1941 to the transferred Army Catering Corps